Saturday, October 1, 2016

Reading the Highlights

                 I picked up my Bible this morning to do a little studying, but just couldn’t seem to concentrate on any particular book or chapter. I was attributing it to waking up with a small sinus headache, but I soon found out I was wrong.
                With my wife at work, my dog asleep at my feet, soft rain falling on the roof and quiet in the house, I believe God took the opportunity to speak to me in a way He hasn’t for a while.
                How many of you have studied your bibles throughout the years and have highlighted, underlined and wrote notes in the columns? I have also written things on the blank pages in the front and back of mine; reminding me of important passages or points I’ve learned. If you have been a faithful seeker of God’s word, I’m sure your Bible is marked to some extent.
                But today I ended up in Proverbs, and my eyes kept going only to the highlighted or underlined verses. I thought, “Well, I’ll start at the beginning and read all the way through on the highlighted verses then.”
                By the time I was through, God had given me a lesson I will not forget. It’s amazing how He can speak to my heart, and how He comes to me when I least expect it.
                See, most of the highlights in Proverbs came when I was a new Christian, with a new big bible to study, and spent hours at the kitchen table reading, marking and writing notes on what I thought God meant. Besides the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs were my first studied books back then.
                As I read, I began to see a pattern in those highlights, scribbles and lines. I saw an understanding of faults and sins I knew needed correcting or forgiveness. I saw my concern in trying to please God, and the seeking of answers to questions on what it means to be His. I saw myself several years ago and at the same time saw myself today. It was like looking back in time, a glimpse through spiritual eyes I cannot explain.
                As I read, I saw areas where I have grown in understanding and have shed many of the things that are not pleasing to God. I saw how God has worked in the past and continues to work today, sifting me and forging with fire and love. But I also saw areas where there has not been as much improvement as there should be. Have I been lax and is my Lord telling me a new phase is starting and these need to be prayed and fasted over? Either way, I believe they must be addressed.
                My point is, God is never done working on you and with you. He will use ways to speak to you that may be totally different than someone else. Today, He used the highlights. He used the underlined sentences. He used me to reflect on my progress with Him. Introspection is tough love!
                Why don’t you try it for yourself, maybe you’ll find a new way to get closer to Him. In the mean time, you know what I’m going to do? Tomorrow I’m going to begin reading all my highlights, starting with Genesis! God Bless!
               


No comments:

Post a Comment