Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Father, Fishing, And Confidence!

Although I have never used it, I opened a page in “52 New Testament Sermon Starters” and read this in part of the chapter :
In Romans 8:31 the phrase “If God be for us” is poorly translated. The particle εi does not provide for a supposition, but for a certainty. It is not a condition, but a conclusion. It should really read, “since God is for us.” Because it is certain that God is for us, the conclusion follows, “who can be against us?”
There are some things that, at times, open whole new worlds for my fuddled brain to see. Just a word, placed in the right place, makes me feel more secure and confident.
It’s like the day your dad showed you how to put that worm on the hook correctly. Now when you throw it in, every little nibble won’t take your bait. They have to try harder for that worm, thus making them grab that hook, and you hooking them! It made you, as a child, more confident of your fish catching ability. I’m sure your dad said “here, you will catch more fish if you put your bait on this way”. Then you had no doubt that, if you did it like dad showed you, those fish would be jumping on your hook! Its call a confidence builder.
God gives us confidence builders through out the bible. But we are told to study. If things were up front and easy, then there would be no reason to study. That is why I like the KJV bible. I often have to go to a Strong’s Concordance to look up the meaning of a word. I very often find a totally new meaning to a verse than what I though it was. That is why I feel more confident when I see little things like this revealed to me. Not all Christians are alike. Some are stronger in areas of their walk where others are not.
I should have known my Father in Heaven would clarify a question I had. Now I have more confidence to go fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment